Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Rising indie teen Rory Wynne makes TV acting debut in Cold Feet




Words: Linn Branson

If you're a fan of ITV's Cold Feet, you may have been so gripped by last night's (October 10) storyline to not realise that making his acting debut in the episode was none other than Stockport indie pop musician Rory Wynne.

Rory is no stranger to Little Indie's pages after we first introduced the then 15-year-old two years ago (see here). Since then he has realeased singles such as 'Post Party Confusion', 'I Know She Knows', and 'Why Don't You', recently supported the likes of Blossoms and The Coral and performed at last weekend's Neighborhood Festival in Manchester.


So, how did he come to be making an appearance on a top TV drama? "It was rather out of the blue. I wasn't seeking work as an actor but I got an email forwarded to me from the people at Cold Feet as they were looking for a band of 16/17-year-olds to appear," Rory told Little Indie earlier today. "Conrad [Murray], who is looking after me, recommended that my backing band and I would be perfect. So I said yes."

Rory filmed his gig scene at Manchester's intimate Retro Bar, while the house scene was shot in a television studio in Gorton. "It was all an amazing experience. We actually recorded the tracks in advance at the studios so what you saw on television was perfectly executed miming. It made it a lot easier than playing over and over until a good take was completed. And just being in the same room as James Nesbitt and John Thomson was amazing, as well as working with Jamie Jay Johnson who is a brilliant director. I think, like with most of the opportunities I've been given, I just took it in my stride."


Was there one part he found most fun to do?  "Well, I shan't say the obvious, but one of the best bits for me was recording 'Teenage Kicks' with John on drums. It was a good laugh and once we finished we did our own take on the SNL Cowbell Sketch - John portraying Christopher Walken perfectly."

We're still laughing at that particular short behind-the-scenes clip, now uploaded to YouTube and which you can view below. So, if Rory ever needs a Bez-like additional member in his band, he'll know just who to call!



Not that Rory has given up on his burgeoning music career in the hope of Bafta recognition. "The music side is going great!" he laughs. "There'll be some new stuff on the way in 2017. I have already recorded a couple of singles at Parr Street Studios in Liverpool with James Skelly [of The Coral] and Rich Turvey on producing duties - and they are sounding glorious.  I can't wait for everybody to hear them. There'll also be something announced soon on the gig front so keep your eyes peeled."

You can watch Episode 6 of Cold Feet again for another 29 days via the ITV hub. Click on link

For more information on Rory, follow him on Facebook and Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment