Monday, May 25, 2015

First Listen :: Jegard




Words: Linn Branson

Like satire on your telly? How about in your ears...kind of?

Ex-frontman of Brighton punk pop outfit The Bright Ones (our radar band here two years ago), Christian Jegard has now gone out in a limb, watched a lot of telly and Have I Got News For You in particular, to come up with this debut track under his own name, to be digitally self-released on June 1.

"I lost interest in music and spent a year watching television but now I'm interested again," Jegard tells us. "I sing, play guitar, drums, bass and keyboard" - (probably not all at the same time) -  "and the first single is about the TV show, Have I Got News For You. I decided that I'm gonna do an experiment: I'm gonna write and record an album from scratch in three days - a basic, scuzzy-sounding DIY album and the rule was not to think twice about the music or the lyrics - just make something.  So the songs can be a little weird - they're about things I like, not the sort of stuff you usually hear in songs."

'Have I Got News For You' sounds rather early Blur, or Damon Albarn anyhow. "London, I command you all to dance", Jegard orders, in between namechecking Ian Hislop, Kirsty Young, Martin Clunes, David Mitchell and William Shatner, and how many times they have appeared on the show. You probably will be too; its earworm-catchy beat is certainly going to be burrowing into your head, that's for sure. You'll be bound to raise a grin at the vid as well...




FACEBOOK

No comments:

Post a Comment