Friday, April 17, 2015

Five Minutes With ... Tenterhook



We first met Archie Faulks, otherwise known as Tenterhook, here First Listen :: Tenterhook last February, in what were very early days then for the then 19-year-old singer / songwriter newcomer. Now as he is about to head out on the Communion New Faces tour, and with a new single, 'What I Like', out in June (as well as confirmed for The Great Escape, Live At Leeds and Live At Glasgow festivals), Linn Branson catches up with the man to see how things are faring.

How and where do we find your good self at this point in reading this?
Sitting outside a coffee shop in Hyde Park on a sunny day.

It's little over a year now since we first had a listen to you after you had just uploaded Stereo. So, how has the last year been for you, and in X Factor parlance, has it been a 'journey'?
Yes, it has been a year full of special moments. The highlight was touring Europe with Asgeir; it was a surreal month and such am eye opening experience. To be able to watch one of your favourite artists every night and then have a beer with him after the show is always special, and I learnt so much from him and his band. I have been lucky that throughout the year I've been able to consistently write songs and develop my technique. I consider myself a different musican to the one who released 'Stereo' a year ago.

You were just 19 then - a mere babe! - now in your twenties, do you feel more 'grown up'? Able to handle all the razzmatazz of the 'biz'?
Without doubt. When I started I was a nervous wreck anytime I met an A+R man or artists such as myself, but I have gained confidence over this year as more people have discovered my music and know who I am.

You describe your music as 'ambient folk pop'. But how would you describe the man behind the music? Are you a laid-back, ambient folkie?
I go through phases. On some occasions I am a chilled ambient guy, and at other times I chat a lot of shit about conspiracy theories. I don't believe them but I try and keep things interesting, you know.

Of which song you have written are you the most proud of, and why?
I think 'Stereo' is the song I am most proud of. I wrote it when I was 17 and it was when I first started singing in falsetto. It definitely led me to explore vocally when writing, which in turn helped define my sound.

You hail from West London, near Portobello Road in fact. Do you still reside in those parts? What's the best thing about the area and do you ever go antique hunting? 
Yes, I do. I love seeing the mix of people walking through the market on a Saturday. I used to busk most weekends so have got to know many of the characters of the market and I love the liberal community feel within the big city. I have spent many an hour in Rough Trade records and also played my first every show at a venue under Portobello flyover, so I feel the area has had a massive influence on my music. Every now and then I do find myself going through some of the antique shops, but as of yet my collection is very small.

You're about to join the Communion tour. Do you know any of your fellow tour artists?
No, I haven’t met any of them yet, but am into all their music and looking forward to getting on the road and seeing them do it live.

Will you all be hanging out together in B&Bs on the road, or do you now get a separate swanky 5* luxury hotel suite?!
I wish! I will probably end up on my friends' floors most of the way - but I wouldn’t change that. Although I have always wanted to trash a hotel room!

Name four of your on-the-road essentials that we would find tucked in the Faulks suitcase?
Moisturiser cream, an extra capo, a good book and headphones.

What's the plan for your set on the tour; will that be rotating as per the artists? Will you be including any new, unheard material?
Each night has a rotating bill so I will be headlining Leeds and Bristol. Yeh, I have been writing a lot of new songs so hoping to road test a few.

You now have a few sentences for your big plug to push whatever you might want to promote. Use it wisely. Go.....
Hello World, my new single is online its called ‘What I Like’. It's out to buy on June 8th. Hope to catch as many as possible of you on tour!

Last word: spill your word or words of wisdom. Say 'pass' if you have none.
Always remember a spoon..



Communion’s biannual ‘New Faces’ tour opens next Monday, April 20, in Liverpool and finishes on the 29th in Bristol. Taking part are some of the most hotly tipped emerging artists of the moment: Frances, Charlotte OC, Freddie Dickson and, of course, Tenterhook. The tour will feature a rotating bill, giving each artist a chance to headline at least one show.

Frances will bring her unique brand of ambient piano-based pop to the tour, whilst Charlotte OC will treat fans to her sultry and seductive brand of upbeat singer/songwriter fun; Freddie will lend deliver intense and emotive ballads, and Tenterhook will soothe with his mellow take on indie/folk.

Tickets and details of line-up for each date can be found here.

Tour Dates

April
20. East Village Arts Club, Liverpool
22. Brudenell Games Room, Leeds
23. Ruby Lounge, Manchester
24. The Bullingdon Arms, Oxford
27. Sticky Mike’s, Brighton
28. St Stephen’s Church, London
29. The Louisiana, Bristol



No comments:

Post a Comment