Sunday, September 21, 2014

Track Of The Day :: Mwansa - The Kid Has Issues



Featured last month in our Australia Round-Up #5, Mwansa has now released a video to accompany 'The Kid Has Issues'. And if you've never heard this guy's voice, do it now. You don't come by many as nut brown rich as this one.

Driven by the death of his brother, Mwansa turned to music as a form of catharsis, releasing his first single in January 2014, and creating a groundswell of interest while garnering fans around the globe. One such fan being Grammy nominated and multi- platinum mix engineer Ariel Chobaz who mixed the 'The Kid Has Issues'.

“I just had to get 'The Kid Has Issues' out. Ariel got what I was trying to do! He had this vision of creating a fresh new sonic palette. He was a big fan of ‘Burn this House’ and brought a great wealth of experience to the process. We both had this feeling that the two of us working together would create something special,”  says the Zambia born, Perth, Australia raised Mwansa.

'The Kid Has Issues' was the last song Mwansa wrote in the body of work he calls ‘The Age of Disbelief’ - which he hopes to release as an EP next year.

“At first I drank a lot. That didn’t work. And so the only other way I knew to lose myself was to write. What started as an hour here and there turned into sometimes days.... At the time I didn’t realise that I was purging; the disillusion, the heartache. And then I had these six songs and I thought....’YOU CAN NEVER SHOW THEM TO ANYONE!’ It was only after a friend of mine emailed them to a few people that I decided to release ‘Burn this House’. 'The Kid Has Issues' was the last song I wrote. It’s acceptance. It’s the broken vase you’ve tried to glue back together that doesn’t quite look right. But you have no choice but to live with it.”

Like his previous song, 'The Kid Has Issues' was written and performed solely by Mwansa with one microphone and some old recording gear in the garage of his home in Perth.




No comments:

Post a Comment