Friday, February 08, 2013

Five Minutes With...EXIT CALM





Hello Nicky

Hello!


How's it going?

Good Thank you, things are starting to move forward again.


We hear you've just forsaken the North and moved to the far more upmarket South. Are you finding the natives friendly so far?


This is correct. Its not a big deal though. I have been coming down here that much it was just easier to be based here. I think some people never leave the end of their street and would see London as another planet. The band are only a few hours up the road. People in Australia and America travel that distance all the time. I have moved in with my girl friend, Jon from Sulk and another friend Nat. So yes everyone is friendly!


Tell us who you are and what you do.


You know who I am? Amazing guess earlier then! I am the vocalist in Exit Calm amongst other things...

Now, now, grumpy! Some nice band shots to accompany the single release and tour. You're still not smiling though?


We're doing a photo shoot tomorrow - I will smile for you! Mean and moody is in the 'band photo handbook'. Have you not read it? Along with the singer has to be pushed to the front slightly; all stood awkwardly stiff against a wall with some graffiti in the back ground or a derelict building.


Are you better known for having a somewhat menacing presence on stage or your facial hair, do you think?


I'm not known for a beard: it's a new thing. Makes me look less menacing apparently - like a warm fuzzy bear. So less people shit themselves at gigs.

What have you got to plug for us?


'The Rapture' will be released on the 18th February on 500 limited vinyl. Our tour to accompany its release starts at the Borderline on the 21st.



What can you tell us about the new album you've been working on and why has it taken you so long since the debut of 2010? Is it because you/the band are perfectionists at your craft?

The new album will be called 'The Future Isn't What It Used To Be.' It will have nine songs on. Most will be played at these next run of gigs and we are itching to see how they will be live. One of my current favourites is called 'Holy War'. It's got a deep massive attack groove in the vein of Inertia Creeps, but the chorus is kind of eighties sounding. It's a strange mix, but it works. I can tell it will be an eventual big favourite. It ends in an apogee that could be seen as our signature. I'm looking forward to playing it live tonight for the first time in Luton at our warm up show. We are perfectionists to some extent, but also with this record there has been a little less of that this time. Not to say we have been lacklustre at all, but a little more carefree in the respect of trying to control absolutely everything. It's mind bending so it had to stop.


You have those other shoegaze wonders SULK opening for you in London. Will you and Jon be serious, non drinking folk post gig?

No idea what Jon will be doing - hogging all the mirrors probably! They have a tune called 'Down' that's my favourite off their album. Look out for it. As for drinking, I think you know the answer. Unfortunately, next to every stage I play at, a bar is next to it... Those that know me, know that I'm rarely serious off stage. It's a common misjudgement by people that. I have never laughed as much as I have with the people in my band. And I mean wholehearted, belly aching laughter. Yet when we are on stage we are all very serious about the music so people imagine that's what we are like permanently. It's strange because it seems to work the other way round in reality. Half of these so called comedy bands with funny lyrics and light music are the most boring depressive people off stage you could possibly ever want to meet.

There's a pretty healthy back catalogue of Exit Calm songs, which would you say is the one you are most proud of and why?

It's like having a favourite kid though isn't it? Its not really possible, not in a melodramatic heavy sense. Just because I personally don't believe in pride. Yes I wrote the lyrics and the melody I sing, but I still do not feel right taking credit for the vocals. Because Im objective enough to know that there are always outside influences. Whether conscious, or just subtle things that are going on without people being aware. It might sound daft to some people but it is my view that Exit Calm is responsible for what it produces. That's it. You may hear that as incredibly modest, it's not. I know very well that I sat and wrote the words, but I can't be proud of any that I like because im not sure I believe in the individual in the common sense.

Well, seeing as 'The Rapture' is the latest, we'll let people listen to that instead.




If you weren't in Exit Calm, where would we be most likely to find you today - the pub is not an accepted response!

The cemetery - is that acceptable? There is no 'if'. I am in Exit Calm and will be for a good few more albums. Sorry I have just remembered you said lighthearted! I wouldn't be dead, Exit Calm isn't the reason I am alive. Definitely one of the reasons though!


Who have been your musical influences and to what extent have they shaped your own writing and performing?

When I was 16 at art college my third eye opened and in poured John Lennon. I know he is now a cliche, almost a Mickey Mouse figure, but I couldn't help it. Oasis were just about to emerge and I was swept up by the whole Beatles/Lennon thing. So to talk of one influence, it would have to be him. I remember just being completely obsessed, read every book; went to watch Backbeat about four times on my own at the pictures. But that was almost twenty years ago. The influence list is endless now. I am just as influenced by a shit song because it makes me want to do better, as I am something that I hear and think is great. Creation, Factory and Mo-wax says enough though we believe.

Last word: spill your word or words of wisdom. Say 'pass' if you have none.

Pass. I will be forever learning so there is no way I would try to advise anyone, but I will say that if you think that this is all there is, then you are an absolute moron.


Thanks, Mr Smith.




Website:
http://exitcalm.net/

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/exitcalmmusic

Twitter:
http://twitter.com/ExitCalm







No comments:

Post a Comment